KELAPA

KELAPA, aka coconuts. At least these are the Balikpapan type. Yes I know they don't look anything like the outrageously over priced sort you see in the North American supermarket. But these are what you get here, and right now there are truck loads of them and piles alongside the roads all over the place. Fresh by the way - and they really do taste great. Oh yeah - these are about a dollar each. In season I guess. Just in time for Ramadan.

Something else I should point out is the popularity of fireworks and fire crackers around here these days. Including the ones someone decided to set off (fire crackers) in the middle of the pizza house the other night. Every night - and I do mean every night, starting just around 7 p.m. all the fireworks comes out. Just in time with Ramadan too. .......... a 30 day build up to the big night. Idul Fitri is next week in fact.

BIWA Coffee Morning day here today. At the brand new Arts & Culture Center. Which as it turns out, is a really nice place and with an awesome view. First coffee morning I've been to in quite a long time in fact. Good to see all the familiar faces that have come back (holidays) and a whole lot of new ones too. Welcome to Balikpapan everyone - hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

TODAY: aka THIS AFTERNOON. I think we need to get some pool time in. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a busy day - think I'm going to head over and enjoy the sun while I have the chance.

Good to Go!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow, your blog is a wealth of information about Balikpapan! My family and I may be moving there soon. It is very difficult to find info about schools, housing, etc on the internet. Can you tell me anything about PMC compound and Pasir Ridge Int'l School? Thanks!